My latest YouTube short
Recently the family and I have been rewatching the comedy Parks and Rec. According to my daughters and better half, Leslie Knopes is my alter ego. Who knew? I see myself as more of a Ron, minus the tache. Ha! Anyway, in honor of my TV character doppelgänger and in the name of levity, (which let’s be honest, we all could use in our current Covid 19 world), here are some of my favorite quotes from the show. Y’all stay healthy and for the love of all that’s sane, wear a friggin mask!
- Everything hurts and I’m dying.” – Leslie Knope
- “There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that is lying about being milk.” – Ron Swanson
- “Time is money; Money is power; Power is pizza; Pizza is knowledge. Let’s go!” – April Ludgate
- “I am a Goddess, a glorious female warrior.” – Leslie Knope
- “Just remember, every time you look up at the moon, I, too, will be looking at a moon. Not the same moon, obviously, That’s impossible.” – Andy Dwyer
- “Sometimes you gotta work a little so you can ball a lot.” – Tom Haverford
- “We have to remeber what’s important in life: friends waffles and work. Or waffles, friends, work. But work has to come third.” – Leslie Knope
- “Halloween is my favorite holiday. It’s just the best. And I don’t have to work! Hey slutty teenage girls dressed as sexy kittens, pump your own stomachs this year!” – Ann Perkins
- “If I keep my body moving, and my mind occupied at all times, I will avoid falling into a bottomless pit of despair.” – Chris Traeger
- “What I hear when I’m being yelled at is people caring really loudly at me.” – Leslie Knope
This and that.
1. My eye corection surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday. Excited but not looking forward to being put to sleep. Wish me luck. The recovery time is pretty short. Glad for that. The surgery will correct the alignment of my left eye and hopefully, improve my peripheral vision. I have full confidence in my doctor. His name is Benjamin Krammer.. I highly recommend him.
2. When I originally started my blog, it was a place to write about life’s little oddities, post book reviews and ny random musings. Recently, I think it has reverted back to that concept with poetry thrown into the mix. The blog at one point had metamorphosis into strictly a poetry spot. There was a time when I wrote constantly. I was going through a tough time and writing was my therapy.
Nowadays, life is more stable and I’m in a healthier state of mind . It’s also a much busier time. I find myself writing less, but the muse is still there. It’s just learning to write from a place of stability . I suppose I could hone in on unresolved hurt feelings, and painful events, but I choose not too. I choose to focus on the positive and all the blessings in my world.
Everything that has happened to me has placed me where I am suppose to be. I’ve always tried to put love out there, and I feel like karma is acknowledging that. Things are finally going really well after a few years of chaos.. I’m grateful for what was and the growth it has brought me. No regrets. I’m stronger and better for it all. I’m also aware, given how anxious and sentimental I can be that there will still be times of angst and disquieting moments. That is the human condition when one feels things on a deeply emotional level. However, I’m more equipped to handle those setbacks now. I’m living for what is. Turns out what is is pretty lovely.
3. I also find myself spending much less time on social media. It’s odd given that I used to be such an enthusiast. I really enjoyed posting and connecting with new people. These days I’m just happy to connect with those who already know and love me. Most of my online time is devoted to criminal justice pursuits, as well as less noble causes like Amazon browsing and watching various Youtubers.
4. We will be traveling to the Outer Banks in April . For those of you who have been, any suggestions on must see attractions? I’m hoping to see some wild horses running along the beach.
5. Lastly, thanks so much for sticking with me through my many moods and blog stages. WordPress definitely attracts creative and kind people. I’m happy to interact with you all.
PS. For those of you who are strictly here for the poetry, my friend Misty and I will be releasing a poetry book later this year.
Details coming soon. 💕
PPS. I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called Tricky Dick and the Man in Black. It chronicled the relationship between Johnny Cash and Richard Nixon. Johnny showed Nixon that he was nobody’s fool. The documentary put me in a Cash state of mind. His cover of “Hurt” gets me every time.
My gripe for today. See below. Note if you’re not familiar with the Jodi Arias case here are the basics
“On June 4, 2008, salesman Travis Victor Alexander (July 28, 1977 – June 4, 2008) was murdered by his ex-girlfriend, Jodi Ann Arias (born July 9, 1980), in his house in Mesa, Arizona, United States. Arias was convicted of first-degree murder on May 8, 2013, and sentenced to life in prisonwithout the possibility of paroleon April 13, 2015, almost seven years after the murder.[n
That was then… and now
“Jodi Arias is asking an appeals court to overturn
her murder conviction in the 2008 death of her former boyfriend, saying a prosecutor’s misconduct and a judge’s failure to control news coverage during the salacious case
deprived her of the right to a fair trial”
A few things, there was never any evidence to support her claims of abuse. The reality is she was a woman obsessed with a man conflicted about his religion and sexuality. Together they were toxic. Sadly, Travis lost his life before he could make the positive changes he so desperately wanted to implement. One of those was cutting ties with Jodi.
She couldn’t have that thought, so the narcissistic sociopath decided to brutally murder him instead. She shot Travis once, stabbed him 29 times. 29 times! Nine of the stabs wounds were in the back, bur oh “it was self defense” Funny, how the only injuries she had were a few cuts on her fingers. I guess that what happens when you wield a knife in a homicidal rage . It was overkill. She slashed his throat from ear to ear. Oh, and if that wasn’t enough, she tried to murder him a second time by slandering his name in court with her self serving lies. Let’s also not forget that she was more than happy to give multiple interviews to the media. In those interviews, her biggest concern was how she looked on camera, not the death of someone she “ loved” so desperately.
In addition she lied numerous times. First she said she wasn’t anywhere near Travis’s home when he was murdered. After she was confronted with photographs that showed she most definitely was there, she changed her story again. This time asserting that two ninjas committed the crime, and she fleed the scene to save her life. Shockingly, that story didn’t wash either, kind of like the film she tried to destroy by placing Travis’s camera in the washing machine. It should be noted this camera not only showed scandalous photos taken the day of the murder, but also scenes from the murder itself.
Her next whooper, she killed Travis in self defense. I asked you would a woman who feared a man stalked said man, hack his social media accounts, slashed his car tires, and then show up at his house to have sex and take naughty photos. I don’t think so. The only thing Travis was guilty of was letting his sex drive get the best of him. It happens to all of us, we don’t deserve to die because of it. Did Travis use Jodi? Maybe, but Jodi was far from innocent. She was and is a manipulative, selfish, self serving sick woman. I hope she never gets out of jail. The only nice thing I can say about her is at least she isn’t Casey Anthony.
Travis is the true victim..He should be alive and thriving. I hope he’s resting in peace. He didn’t deserve such a violent end. My heart will forever go out to his family.
John Cleese is one of my favorite comedians. I’m old school, lovelies. . I adore him. Many thanks to my Mister Constant for surprising me with tickets to his upcoming show. I’m so looking forward to seeing him live on the 19th. It should be a fun evening. If you aren’t familiar with his work, shame on you. 😜 Please allow me to catch you up.
Cleese is probably best known for his various roles in the British comedy Monty Python’s Flying Circus. I love him for his role as Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers. He is also known for his award-winning role as Archie Leach in the American / British comedy film A Fish Called Wanda. In honor of the upcoming show I give you one of his funniest television moments, followed by some Cleesisms.
“He who laughs most, learns best”
“The most creative people have this childlike facility to play.”
“A man will give up almost anything except his suffering.”
“The English contribution to world cuisine – the chip.”
“In Britain, girls seem to be either bright or attractive. In America, that’s not the case. They’re both.”
And now a tune for Wednesday. I so love these lyrics and Vance Joy.
Gold, when you see me
Hi, if you need me
Babe, that’s the way it was
That’s the history
Blue, how we used to roar
Like an open fire
That’s the way it was
But that’s history
I think Jimmy Kimmel is my new favorite Jimmy. Sorry Fallon. I love his friendship with Sarah Silverman. They’re the cutest ex couple ever, I swear Sarah is aging backwards. 47 and she looks bettet than ever. Anyway, this clip just makes me happy. I’m so easy to please at times, The “woke Jimmy” part cracks me up, Have a wonderful Saturday. 💕
- I’m really enjoying having lowlights in my hair and the fact that it is finally just about to my shoulders. It’s the simple things, folks.
- Interesting article below on blocking friends and family on social media after a fall out. Personally, I’ve never blocked someone I’ve cared about and who has truly cared about me. It just always struck me as mean and disrespectful. I’m an adult and if I have an issue with you, I’ll simply say so, If I trusted you at one point with my love and friendship, I have to trust you’re mature enough to respect my wishes when things end. Note, I will block perverts and stalker types with no regret. I just think people who were important to us deserve better than to be treated like the aforementioned Unless the relationship ended on a hateful note or harassment is involved. One thing for certain blocking sends a clear message that you want a person gone, never to be heard from again. It’s the ultimate Fudge you! 🤓lhttps://www.theodysseyonline.com/psychological-strain-behind-blocking-someone-on-social-media
- I’ve gotten back into wearing eyeliner and mascara most days. I’m loving Nars Larger than Life Long wear Eyeliner and Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes.
- Remember these? A pop sensation for your mouth . Yes, I’m really 12. ha!
- If you haven’t seen the HBO documentary on Senator John McCain, you should check it out. May he rest in peace. He seemed like a man who cared about America and not just his party. Imagine if bipartisan became the norm. What a strange and wonderful world it would be.
- On another TV note is anyome watching Castle Rock on Hula? If so, who or what is “the kid” Two more episodes left of this season. Such a mind twister You really have to pay attention to follow everything that’s going on.
- I’m so happy it’s almost fall, lots of fun things in the works with my favorite people. I can’t wait to break out the sweaters and hot chocolate.
- I give you simply the best milkshake ever. The Misto.
- On a film note, I watched “Mother” last night. It came out last year and stars Jennifer Lawrence. Biblical allegories played a huge role in the plot, but goodness was it violent and bizarre.
- What’s a blog post without a picture of the rock star cat being fabulous
- So me
- My birthday was yesterday and I got this card from my youngest daughter . She’s funny
- My favorite family to watch on YouTube. The kids are super adorable! https://youtu.be/mFUKjbUYCcI
You all can blame my buddy Casey for what follows. He encourages my list madness. You can check out his poetry here. http://www.scurvyq52.wordpress.com He’s guaranteed to shiver your timbers. Just ask his beautiful wife and devoted readers. (This ad paid for by Casey and the Pirates of Jacksonville) 😎
And now I give you (and C-Man) twenty facts about myself . What are some facts about you? I’d love to know more about you and your world.
1. I’ve battled depression and anxiety on and off for years, since I was a teen really. I worry a lot and mostly about things thaf haven’t even happened. Thankfully, I’ve learned to cope. One thing that has helped me is focusing on others. It gets me out of my head and allows me to direct my energy towards something positive.
2. I’m super affectionate and outgoing with my family and friends, but can be shy and reserved with people I don’t know well. I also can go quiet if I’m upset about something or just lost in a daydream.
3. I can usually find the good in most situations. I’m fairly easygoing with moments of anarchy and rebellion.
4. I use humor as a buffer when my emotions start to overwhelm me. This creates a false narrative and deflect what I’m really struggling with. I find it hard to be vulnerable with most people. It’s easier to just joke and play off what I’m feeling.
5. When I was little and my brother was born, people would asked me what I thought of the new baby. I would always reply in a serious and reflective tone, “He’s okay except for his face”. Pretty much still holds true today. Haha! Not really.
6. I use words like nifty and neat.
7. I think I would have made an excellent flapper girl, were it not for being born in the wrong decade, and the gusto to which I apply tripping over my own feet.
8. I don’t get dark chocolate, skinny jeans, Donald Trump, kale, math, Wal-Mart, or why Andy Cohen is popular.
9. I love James Corbin, Jimmy Fallon, John Cleese, John Legend, and the letter J. 😁
10. I think it might be cool to live in a lighthouse and turn ir into a B and B.
11. I’ve really gotten into cooking recently Believe me no one is more surprised than me. I’m trying new recipes and enjoying it. Dinner at my house everyone. Bring wine, roses are optional. Chocolate is demanded.
12. I’m quiet happy to stay home and watch Netflix or read a book. Currently watching “The Staircase” It’s about the Michael Peterson trial. I can be a real homebody.
13. However, I do enjoy days and nights out Love trying new restaurants and just walking around town. I also enjoy festivals, concerts, Sunday drives, plays,sightseeing and traveling
14. I t’s like a constant ticker tape parade in my head because of this, I need lots of creative outlets. Currently into writing, painting, singing, and practicing my hip hop moves 😜
15. My friend Misty and I will be releasing a poetry book in December.
16. Fun fact- I’ve learned that sometimes the people you care about and do the most for are the ones that will hurt you the hardest I’m not sure why that is. Forgive and forget though. If you can’t do that, as my Granny use to say, “Pray for them.” . Dear Lord, please let a flower pot fall in their stupid head” kidding! Refer back to number 4 on the list
17. My dream jobs are as follows being a profiler for the FBI, hosting a home interior show on HGTV, being a Broadway darling, or having my own organic skincare line.
18. I’m going to Salem Massachusetts and Portland Maine the last week of October. Excited to see New England in the fall. It looks so pretty. I’m particularly excited to see The House of Seven Gables, Longfellow’s digs, the art of Winslow Homer, Cape Elizabeth, and of course The Holy Doughnut. Okay, mostly the latter, but I’m sure the rest will be cool too. 😆
19. I love food, but my taste is sort of pedestrian. Yes, I eat people walking on the street .😜
20. I have every beauty and anti-aging gadget known to man. I’m not getting any younger so I really try and take care of my skin. I’m also afraid of needles and knives so doing noninvasive things at home is the route I’m taking. These little machines have made such a HUGE difference. I will use them for the rest of my life. I think I look pretty good to be turning 106. 😜
I’ve loved to be a beauty blogger but I think I’m more suited to write on the adventures of being a dork. Ha!🤓
Music and a nod to a fact on my list. This song always cheers me up. 🍸